On Wednesday, July 6, Nigeria lost one of its finest politician and former presidential candidate.
Alhaji Umaru Shinkafi died in a hospital in London at about 4:07 pm today.
Late Alhaji Umaru Shinkafi
NAIJ.com lists 10 important things to know about the man best remembered for his pioneering role in the creation of the National Security Organisation (NSO).
1. Alhaji Umaru Ali Shinkafi hails from Zamfara state.
2. He was a politician and former federal commissioner of internal affairs from 1975-1979.
3. He was a presidential aspirant during the Third Nigerian Republic.
4. He was the head of the secret police, the Nigeria Security Organisation (NSO), which has been rebranded Department of State Services (DSS), from 1979 to 1983.
5. He was also the vice-presidential candidate of Olu Falae in the APP/AD alliance in 1999.
6. Shinkafi joined the Nigerian police force in 1959, after passing through the police college in Kaduna.
7. In 1973, he graduated from the University of Lagos and a year later, he graduated from the Nigerian Law School.
8. Shinkafi held the traditional title of Marafan Sokoto.
9. He is survived by three wives, and five children. One of his daughters is Zainab, wife of Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi state, and another is Hadiza, the wife of Zamfara governor, AbdulAzeez Yari.
10. Shinkafi was one of the promoters of the Nigerian National Congress (NNC) a political association formed in 1989 after the disbanding of poltiical groups by the Babangida administration.